Saturday, January 18, 2014

Tohaa: Conspiracy of Color

When I left off I was struggling with what was my next step. As you can see, I sort of just started shotgunning colors onto the model. The Emerald weapons just created too much chaos and while I liked the grenade colors themselves, again they just did not add anything to the scheme.



I took a few days of thinking with the occasional change being made as I went. I ended up using RMS Imperial Purple for the cloth color and did a gem style nightshade purple fade all the way to the brightest Amethyst Purple for the highlights. I also made the decision to stick with a more classic black high contrast weapon. In doing so I also tried a bright yellow weapon which ultimately (I didn't grab a picture of that mess!) got paint back over with VMC Black. 

The mask got a different treatment, which I while I was happy with the result, felt it was not bright enough for the rest of the scheme (as pictured below.) 

During all of this I realized (and it was pointed out a few times on forums!) a mold line I missed running half the length of the holster side of the body of the Sakiel, so it was going to head back to the a Simple Green dip for me to start over. My Cat thought it would be a good idea to encourage me to do so today by playing a quick game of swat my stuff off the table.



The damage wasn't bad after coming the 40" off my bench to wood floors as I would have thought, but it was getting a repaint to begin with, so its not sitting in a bath of simple green over night.

With that being said, I am happy with what I came out with for my scheme, its more akin to an organic Dark Elf style than I realized. They do stick out in a crowd (and on the table.)

Items I will concentrate more on when I start the Kaemel for the first "completed" model for this army are:

1) Increase the contrast of the yellow, I like the mid-tone and highlight I got to, but it really needs more depth added to it initially with some quick washes with a brownish paint.
2) Increase the brightness and contrast of the mask; I am not sure how just yet.
3) Watch those damn dainty mold lines!
4) Don't give up!

With the release of the ITS 2014 scenarios and formats I have made the choice to continue with my Nomads for the most part as my main army and paint my way through this year. Overall that will mean a Nomad model or two every week, with a Tohaa thrown in so I am painting red until my eyes cross.

Next up is a quick run down of the Nomads models that I have set up to be painted for this year, the scheme I settled on, the first test model and the 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment