Sunday, December 22, 2013

Surroundings

Another goal I have been wanting to tackle for the last few months was my painting/modeling area. I have a small, but dedicated space for which to work on all my nerdish hobbies to my hearts content. That being said, I don't always use my space very well and in particular, I didn't have it lit very well.



I have always had some sort of desk to do hobby work on over the last 13 years. The best point being when I had a 4' double fluorescent light bar with daylight bulbs above my head for painting. I never had any light issues, but my current space doesn't allow me to hang that light bar, so it is packed away in the attic.

To help remedy that I went on a thrift shop hunt for a new (and cheap!) lamp. The first Goodwill stop had a $5 desk lamp that was only missing the clamp (that I can't use), that kind of luck never happens! Next stop was Lowes to grab a Reveal CFL to throw into it. The light cost more than the lamp, but I got a 26w (100w equivalent) White (Day) light. I got the CFL because it runs substantially cooler than the incandescent bulbs that I have used in the past, but the light works really well.

The Lamp was screwed down to the work surface allowing it to be swiveled to where it is needed, but still be above my head during use.

LIGHT!

I have my second light that is now pulling back lighting duty (that is a standard cold Fluorescent light that is still going strong after almost 10 years!)

The next thing that I had stopped using for a few years (mainly due to lack of desire to paint) was my wet pallet. I've had the case that I use that was I think originally from a cheap screw micro-screwdriver set that was purchased years ago at a Big-Box-Store.

Empty

It is about 3.5" x 8" on the inside, folding with a locking top. To that I took some closed cell foam from a Pelican Case I had laying around (denser than the foam that comes in the Infinity blister or box sets) and cut it to size.

Foamed

I placed a small amount of water in the bottom and allowed the foam to soak it up. It takes a little while for it to absorb water in compared to a lower density foam, but it also retains water for a long time afterwards. Next, a piece of parchment paper was cut to size to lay on top of the dampened foam. Speaking of the wetness level, its more about experience as to how much water needs to be in the foam for it to retain the moisture content of the paint, but not be so high that it thins the paint down way to much after it sits over night.

Parched

I pull the parchment paper over a table edge, applying light pressure at the corner to remove the roll that occurs straight from the box. This (which was done at the picture above) makes the paper lay flat so the paint stays put.

Finished!

As you can tell, the holidays are not being kind to my ability to work on modeling. Got behind already! More updates about the Skavens (There was a Warhammer Fantasy player at one of my local GWs back in the day that added a "S" to everything so the name as stuck ever since) Warband progress and what I am doing with my Tohaa and Nomads.

No comments:

Post a Comment